CV – ESTHER BROEREN
Esther specialises in environmental law and law of substances. She has been working as an attorney since 2000, previously with AKD, and has extensive experience in advising governments and companies, and litigating on their behalf. and has extensive experience in advising governments and companies, and litigating on their behalf. Esther has in-depth expertise in the field of external safety and plant protection products and biocides, and obtaining authorisation for the same. Her case work has included BRZO-companies (i.e. regulated high- risk companies), PGS15 companies (i.e. companies working with hazardous substances), instructions by and for company fire departments, the transportation of hazardous substances, railroad yards, oil terminals, refineries, power plants, wind farms, greenhouse complexes and (sustainable) industrial parks, manure processing, water permits and authorisation for biocides and plant protection products.
Esther is a member of the Association for Environmental Law [Vereniging voor Milieurecht] and the Association of Environmental Law Attorneys [Vereniging van Milieurecht Advocaten], and was named best young attorney of the Netherlands in 2006. She regularly writes about and teaches environmental law, the law of substances and (external) safety.
- Member of committees of the National Advisory Council on Dangerous Substances [AGS] (until 2012)
- Member of the editorial staff of Journaal Warenwet (until 2008)
- Member of the editorial staff of Externe Veiligheid (until 2009)
- Member of the editorial staff and annotator of Ruimtelijke Veiligheid en Risicobeheersing (until 2018)
- Annotator Milieu & Recht
- Annotator of the The Dutch Association for Chemical Warehousing [VNCW] Newsletter
- Lecturer for the former VROM inspectorate’s course on External safety (until 2009)
- Lecturer for the Geoplan introductory course on environmental law (until 2012)
- Lecturer for the masters programme Safety, Health & Environment (MOSHE) at Delft University of Technology [TU Delft]
- Lecturer for Berghauser Pont Academy courses, including Basic Environmental Course, External Safety and Spatial Planning Course, and Environmental and External Safety Course.
- Lecturer for in-house courses and meetings, including the Master class on collective risk for the Zaanstad security region and environs (2012), KIWA meeting (2018), VHCP meeting (2018), External Safety Course for the province of Limburg (2016- 2019)
- Speaker at conferences and seminars, including RELEVANT conference, NVVK conference, ATEX conference, VNCW members conference, Food Law Day, annual Seminar of the Association for Environmental Law [Actualiteitendag VMR].
- Author Externe veiligheid en ruimte, Berghauser Pont
- Co-author preadvies Milieubescherming in het omgevingsplan, Association for Environmental Law [VMR]
- Co-author Risicobeleid en rampenbestrijding, National Advisory Council on Dangerous Substances [AGS]
- Co-author Externe Veiligheid, Association for Environmental Law [VMR]
- Co-author Ruimtelijk Bestuursrecht, Kluwer
- Author Externe Veiligheid, written course Environmental Law, Euroforum
- Author various articles and annotations in amongst others Journaal Warenwet, Gemeentestem, Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht, Agrarisch Recht, VMT, Milieu & Recht, tijdschrift Externe Veiligheid, (digitale) tijdschrift Ruimtelijke Veiligheid en Risicobeheersing en uitgaven van de Vereniging Nederlandse Chemische Warehousingbedrijven (VNCW)